What is Homestead Exemption?
Homestead exemptions provide a significant reduction in annual property taxes and are available to individuals who own and reside in a home.
Basic Requirements for Homestead Exemption:
- Must be legal resident of the county; and
- Must own and occupy home as of January 1st of the year the homestead exemption is sought.
How Long will the Homestead Exemption Last?
The Homestead exemption will remain on the property until there is a change in ownership.
DeKalb County – deadline is April 1, 2017
Dekalb County Homestead Information
Cobb County – deadline is April 1, 2017
Cobb County Homestead Information
Fulton County – deadline is April 1, 2017
Fulton County Homestead Information
Forsyth County – deadline is April 1, 2017
Forsyth County Homestead Information
Gwinnett County – deadline is April 1, 2017
Gwinnett County Homestead Information
- If Property Owner(s) is adding or deleting a person’s name on a deed, they must re-file for homestead exemption.
- If there is a change in ownership, name, or spelling correction on the deed, Property Owner(s) must re-file for homestead exemption.
- Refinancing your home does not affect homestead exemption.
- Homestead Exemption CANNOT be applied to Rental Property or Business Owned Property.
What You May Need to Apply:
- Georgia Driver’s License or valid GA ID
- Vehicle Registration
- Recorded Deed for new owner
- Trust Documents if property is in trust
- Proof of Income (for Senior and Other Special Exemptions)
At Karen Cannon, Realtors, we are local real estate experts for Dunwoody, Sandy Springs and North Atlanta. We live, work and play here, and our agents are hand-picked for their connections in the community. Our clients know about homes coming on the market before anyone else. And our highly effective marketing program allows us to shorten the number of days on the market. We’ve even put homes under contract sight unseen!
If you are thinking about selling your home, or are interested in moving into Dunwoody, Sandy Springs or the surrounding areas, call us at 770-352-9658.